Minggu, 27 November 2011

thumbnail

Siemens S45 Alarm System


Could be that your server system get's overheated ... be sure to get an alarm of that ... wherever you are!
Step 1Unassemble the phone

I got this old Siemens S45 mobile phone. One of these phones where the battery got broken after 1/2 year. While testing with other batteries those small contacts broke and the device got unusable. It still worked. I decided to use the phone for alarmin purpuses on my small Linux server.
Disassembling is not an easy task with this type of phone. You have to find these small plastic "noses" on the left and right side. Best I did to open the case was to slib between the small crack using my fingernails ... some broke during this. But finally the case was open and the parts lay in front of me.
Step 2Putting power on the device





Next step was to put power on the device. I took a standard usb cable and cut it apart.
The red and the black cable are the ones that gat the power. The usb port is capable of giving you 5V on 1/2 amperes. This is enough for the phone to operate. Feed the cable through the hole in the plastic cover and solder it to the old battery contacts.
Step 3Attaching the power switch

While the phone works with the power of the usb cable there is one problem if power gets down. The phone does not power up automatically when power gets back. Therefore I attached some small wires to the power button. These wires are then connected to an analog switch (CD4066) that is controlled via the parallel printer port of the server.
Step 4Software


I use scmxx to access the mobile phone. On my server debian is installed and there is a debian package for scmxx available. People who do not use Debian based servers can find the tool on http://www.hendrik-sattler.de/scmxx/ .
I wrote a simple script (hw-check.pl) to check the temperature of the cpu and the mother board. When one of the parameters goes to ALARM state a sms message is send to my mobile phone.
The sensors package is used to fetch the temperatures. In the tar file you can find a file (sensors-test.txt) that contains the sensor values that I read from my server.
Many of the sensors on the it87-i2c-1-2d adapter seems to be not connected. The voltage values may be useful but I think they are not worth an sms ;-)
I decided to ignore this sensor chip.
The lm90-i2c-1-4c chip shows values that seem to be useful.
I added a picture that shows a temperature alarm that the system generated. I send and received it on the same mobile device.
Monitor.tar.gz

[Joko-Electronic]

Subscribe by Email

Follow Updates Articles from This Blog via Email

No Comments

About